Completing the Online Application
Below you will find pertinent information in regards to information and documents needed when applying to the online MBA at Southern Illinois University.
The application process is comprised of two parts.
PART I: College of Business Email Application
Part I application materials can be submitted via email to the following email address: email@example.com
Resume, including Work & Military Experience: Your professional history will play an important role in shaping your graduate program experience. Although a minimum level of work experience is not required for application, having at least two years of full time work experience will greatly increase your chances of admission. Please attach your most recent resume to the email in .pdf or .docx format.
Personal Statement for Online Program: Accredited, online MBA programs are becoming more competitive every day. They require a substantial time, family, and financial commitment. Therefore, we ask that you attach to your email a one-page, single spaced personal statement (in .pdf or .docx format) addressing the following questions:
- Please specify the program you are applying to: 1) online MBA without specialization, OR 2) online MBA with specialization in Agricultural Economics.
- How do you plan to commit to a 2-year online MBA program (e.g., your current job, your family situation, and your ability to finance the program)?
- Why are you a great candidate for the online MBA program?
- What is your ability to work with others in a virtual environment?
- What is it about an online MBA program that appeals to you?
PART II: Graduate School Application
Part two involves the SIU Graduate School Application.
- We ask for your employment history in a specific format (for our AACSB accreditation report). Please prepare a single page document listing all prior paid employment. Please use the following format and number each job listed: Job #, Position, Company, Location, Dates from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/YY.
- We ask 5 "supplemental questions" in the application process (see below). You may wish to answer these questions in a separate document prior to completing the application process. You will have the opportunity to upload your typed responses to the essays to the website. Please answer these questions thoroughly and thoughtfully; they will be used for consideration in the admissions process.
- What professional and personal goals have you established for the next 5-10 years and how do you see graduate education as a means to achieve those goals?
- Describe one or more personal achievements and discuss the qualities in you that made those achievements possible. How could those same qualities lead to success in your professional career?
- Are your grade-point average and GMAT score (if known) indicative of your abilities? Explain why or why not.
- List organizations and activities in which you have been involved. Indicate leadership roles.
- List all awards, honors, scholarships, and other recognitions you have received. Also mention any scholarly or creative works you have completed that are relevant.
- We request letters of recommendation from three individuals who can attest to your academic abilities and/or professional experiences. During the application process, you will be asked to submit the names and email addresses of your three recommenders. You can also write a personal message to your recommenders during the application process. Afterwards, those individuals will receive an email with one of two options: they can complete a recommendation form or they can upload a recommendation letter to the website. The College of Business prefers to receive the recommendation letter as an uploaded document. Please communicate that preference in the personal message that you send to the recommenders.
- We request transcripts from all institutions where you have completed coursework. If you have unofficial copies of your transcripts, you can upload them during the application process. However, you still must request official transcripts to be sent to the following address:
College of Business
Southern Illinois University
Rehn Hall, Room 133 - Mail Code 4625
1025 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
We recognize that the online application is a lengthy process. However, if you prepare your documents in advance, you can minimize the time needed to complete all required portions of the application.
NOTE REGARDING TEST REQUIREMENTS: For the online MBA program, the GMAT or GRE exam requirement is waived if the applicant has five or more years of professional experience following completion of an undergraduate degree, or if he/she has previously completed a masters program at an accredited university. If the applicant does not meet one of these criteria, either the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) will be required for admission.
- If you believe you qualify for a GMAT waiver based on your work experience, please simply skip this question in the online application.
- If you do not have sufficient work experience, you must submit a GMAT or GRE score. Have your official scores sent to SIU, using code 1726 for either test.
- Test scores are valid for five years from the date of the examination.
- A $65 fee is required to submit a complete online application. Visa and MasterCard are accepted. An international money order, cashier's check, certified check or other check drawn on a U. S. bank is also acceptable.
- Applications will not be processed until this fee payment is received. This fee cannot be waived.
For questions pertaining to the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 618| 453-3030.